This review will not try to answer if Brian is correct in his assessment. I need to read more in order to create a proper response to his questions.
But the questions are the gift that McLaren endows to the readers; here are a few of the questions:
- What are the agreements that we make about the proper role of the church?
- What is the framework we utilize to understand the Church's response to the Trinity?
- What did Modernity do to the structure of the Church?
- What does the church do with a loss of a meta-narrative?
- How does money effect the preaching of God?
- Why is their power in the Bible?
- Which kingdom does the Church serve Caesar's Imperialism, or the Kingdom of God?
- What are the ordinary means of Grace?
Please listen to: Beware of Heresy by Gervase Charmley at Bethel Evangelical Free Church • Hanley, Stoke on Trent
Here are a couple of books I recommend reading between Emergent Philosophers:
Jones, Tony You Converted Me the Confessions of St. Augustine
The Church Fathers at the Ethereal Library