325-451Heresies: Answered by the Apostles Creed
The Early Catholic Church worked to safeguard the pure story of the cross.
First: The apostles kept the story alive, by careful observation and study of the Gospel Truth..
Second: Iraneous, Linus and other men codified the New Testament.They finally agreed on the twenty-seven books in the New Testament by 367.
Third: . The Apostles Creed was a big shield in preserving the Gospel Truth:
1. Answer to the Marcionites belief that a wicked God called Demiurge created the heaven and earth:
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth;
2. Answer to the Marcionites belief that Jesus was a seperate God, who remained hidden until out of pure Love He revealed himself in Christ:
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit,
and born of the Virgin Mary
3. Answersto the Mysteries and their belief that there is no historical signifigance to Christ.
He suffered under Pontious Pilate;
was crucified, and was buried.
He descended into hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
4. Answers to Montanism who believed there were future prophets who would be able to judge our world. The Montanisms stand in the way of the Biblical Fact that Jesus alone judges the quick:
He ascended into heaven,
and is seated on the the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
5. Answers to Novation belief that sins/relapses could not be repented of once baptized:
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy Catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
6. Answers to the Gnostic and Marcionites separation of soul and body. They believed that the body was evil and bound the soul in a prison. The biblical truth is that our bodies are not evil in of themselves... they mean enough to be resurrected...
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
The heresies were a threat because they could drive away the believer from the core truth of the gospel.